Electric powered machines are starting to pop up on worksites everywhere as part of the world's effort to thwart the end of civilization as we know it. While some people wake up and go to bed fretting over predictions of impending doom in the next twelve years, the rest of us are concerned about one thing, working.
Machine owners want their machines to dig, push dirt, and tear stuff down. It doesn't matter what they're powered by, as long as they do the job, and save money in the process. An electric machine is just fine as long as it performs.
Manufacturers have introduced dozens of machines over the past two years, with many still to come. Here is a look at the machines currently available from theAssociation of Equipment Manufacturers.
- Case Construction Equipment:Case made a big splash at CONEXPO-CON/AGG 2020 when it unveiled its580EV backhoe. This year it offered a first look at itsCX15 EVcompact excavator, with plans to introduce it in North America in 2023.
- Doosan Bobcat:In addition to the previously mentioned T7X CTL, the company offers an E10e compact excavator and expects to introduce a E32e model later this year. Other compact excavators are anticipated, as well as electric attachments for the T7X.
- Doosan Infracore North America:Four compact excavators, including the DX20ZE-7, are planned for introduction in North America between now and the second quarter of 2024.
- Gehl/Manitou:Gehl, a brand of Manitou Group, showed off a prototype of its 165E skid steer during CONEXPO-CON/AGG 2020.
- Green Machine Equipment:A business unit of ViridiParente, the company partners with several OEMs on electric machines and offers its own brand of equipment.
- Greenland Technologies/Hevi Equipment:A recently announced electric machine lineup includes the 8-ton GEX-8000 wheeled compact excavator.
- Hyundai Construction Equipment/Cummins:The two companies are jointly developing an electric 1.9-metric-ton compact excavator prototype, field testing the units this year.
- IHI:Currently offers 9VXE-3 electric compact excavator.
- JCB:The company unveiled its 19C-IE electric compact excavator in 2019 as part of its E-Tech line, which includes telehandlers, scissor aerial lifts, industrial forklifts, and portable power packs.
- John Deere:Deere showed off its prototype 310 X -tier E-Power electric backhoe at the 2021 Utility Expo. In addition, electric model development was mentioned as part of the company’s new compact excavator agreement with Wacker Neuson.
- Kato-CES:Offers four models of electric compact excavators.
- Komatsu:Komatsu and Honda Motor have formed a partnership to create the Komatsu PC01 compact excavator powered by a Honda battery and electrified power unit.
- Kovaco Electric/First Green Industries:The Slovakia-based company offers the Elise 900 skid steer and MiniZ 400 compact utility loader.
- Mecalac:The E12 excavator is in concept stage.
- MultiOne:The company offers the EZ7 and EZ 8 compact loaders.
- Sherpa:Sherpa has five electric compact utility loaders, including its new Z10 E100 and Z10 E200.
- Takeuchi:This year, Takeuchi unveiled the TB20e UR electric excavator, which will be available at select United Rentals locations. The company’s first electric prototype, the e240, was introduced at CONEXPO-CON/AGG 2017 and its e210R, produced with Green Machine, debuted in 2019.
- Tobrocco-Giant:The company currently produces two electric compact wheel loaders, the Giant G2200E and Giant G2200E X-Tra.
- Toro:Toro introduced its e-Dingo 500 compact utility loader in 2020.
- Volvo Construction Equipment:Volvo CE unveiled a compact excavator and loader at bauma in 2019. Those two models are now in production and another three electric models are scheduled for delivery this year.
- Wacker Neuson:Electric equipment was specifically mentioned in Wacker Neuson’s recent compact excavator deal with John Deere. In Europe, the company has several electric products, including a compact excavator, compact wheel loader, and dumper.
- Yanmar:The company announced its SV17e excavator prototype last year, aimed initially at the European market.
- XCMG:Introduced the XE35U-E compact excavator at the 2020 CONEXPO-CON/AGG.